Saturday 1 November 2008

Holiday

We had a few days away last week, travelling all the way down to Sussex and the south coast.
Brighton was lovely - fresh, crisp and sunny.

The beautiful blue sea and sky.

Brighton Pavilion, built in 1822 for the Prince Regent, later to become George IV.
We did a lot of driving round the area and visited other towns as well.
This is Winchester Cathedral, which dates back to 1709.
One of the tombs here is that of Jane Austen.
We caught the train into London on one of the days, but because of the distances in London itself we didn't get very far in one day. We went to Peter Jones and John Lewis and looked in Selfridges, saw Buckingham Palace and walked across Hyde Park. We crammed in as much as we could, but one day is definitely not enough time to see London.
The only shopping I did was for yarn! I got all this Cashmerino Aran to make a striped blanket. Not cheap, but such nice colours!
On the way back home yesterday we stopped at the Autumn Quilt Festival at Malvern, just like we did last year. It's not as big a show as Quilts UK at the same place in May, but it was well worth going because I bought these fabrics.

I told myself I would exercise restraint and only buy what I really liked, especially after all that yarn shopping. I fell in love with this print:

It was a really nice few days, less than a week, but so refreshing to get away, have a change of scene and do something different!