Friday 5 September 2008

Pincushions

I recently bought this lovely book. If you like crocheting flowers, you will want to investigate this book. There are lots of patterns for both stylised and realistic flowers, several different leaves, and detailed techniques to give your work a perfect finish. The pansies in the photo are from the book.

I really liked this version of a sunflower. I love the difference in scale between the big centre and the tiny petals. The inner edge is worked over two extra strands of thread for padding, and this does give a nice stable edge to the centre.

I wanted to think of my own way to use this flower, and decided on a pincushion.

The 'cushion and leaves are wool. I was pleased with the way it turned out and the nice fat shape, and it was so easy to put together that I made another one with different flowers.

These flowers are based on a simple 6-petal flower from a different book, but I made them with 4 petals because I had it in my head that they should look like the florets on a hydrangea bloom. Beads in the flower centres add another texture.

Because, as I always say, and I think you'll agree, you can never have too many pincushions.