Saturday 21 July 2007

Hollyhocks

I wanted to show you this photo of some of our hollyhocks. They are my absolute favourite flower, and at their best just now. I like them because they are an old-fashioned cottage garden plant, unpretentious and beautiful, and there's something about their great height that appeals to me. They make me think of vintage textiles and old embroidery transfers. I grew these from seed soon after we moved to this house, and they have flowered year after year.

Here's a glimpse of some work in progress - my star quilt, partly quilted:


There's still some more work to do on the quilting, but this gives you an idea of what it will be like. I've still to decide on fabric for the binding. I told you I was a slow worker! I like to take my time and enjoy the process:)